If you’ve been following me on Instagram you would know that I am currently undertaking a temporary ‘low sulphur’ plant-based elimination diet under the guidance of my naturopath to see if Sulphur could be the cause of my ezcema, acne, hormonal and liver problems.
I am going to post a detailed blog SOON about the elimination diet, how I am finding it and the progress I’ve seen so far – so stay turned! But basically, this diet mean no meat, no soy, no coffee, no onion or garlic, no Cruciferous vegetables, and nothing from a package. I’m having to be VERY creative with my meals but I’m actually LOVING it!
These Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties are one recipe I’ve created for my lunches on the first week of this diet. Packed with plant protein from the quinoa & nutritional yeast, plenty of healthy complex carbs from the sweet potato and quinoa, and healthy fats from the chia seeds and olive oil! A perfectly balanced meal, as you know that is what I’m all about #balancebyelise
This recipe is basically suitable for all dietaties:
Dairy free, Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Onion and Garlic free, Nut Free
Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup rolled oats (gluten free oats if necessary)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 chia eggs (2 tbsp chia seeds 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon or lime
- 2 tsp Paprika
- GF bread crumbs, to coat
- Optional (see notes): garlic, onion or spring onion
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius fan-forced.
- Combine the mashed sweet potato, quinoa, nutritional yeast and oats. Stir until combined.
- Add in the chia egg and stir. Then add in the olive oil, lemon/lime, salt, pepper and paprika and combine until a batter forms.
- Form the Patties and place on a lined baking tray. Use about 1.5 heaped tbsps of batter for each pattie, roll into a ball and press down on the tray. This mixture will make 14 patties total.
- Coat in gluten free bread crumbs. Then place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, flip the patties and cook for another 10 minutes or until golden and crispy!
- Serve with a salad like I have or on a burger bun! 🍔
NOTES: Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. These patties are delicious as is, but I recommend adding garlic and spring onion to these patties if you like these flavours – I wasn’t able to add these due to my elimination diet!
Be sure to join me over on Instagram (@eb.fiitness) for daily motivation, recipes and fitness tips! xxx