Back in primary and high school, Mum use to pack my lunch box each day. So morning tea and lunch would always be a little surprise. I remember I would always get so excited when I opened my lunch box to find an Uncle Toby’s Chewy Choc Chip Museli Bar waiting for me! Yum!!
Obviously now I look back and and realise they definitely weren’t the healthiest option for a granola bar (or as I know like to call it, a Loaded Sugar Bar).. but you know, you live and you learn!
So with that inspiration in mind, I set out to create a soft, chewy and perfectly balanced granola bar just like the Uncle Toby’s ones I use to enjoy!
I included protein powder in this recipe because Protein (along with fat) that is responsible for satiety. Having protein in every snack and meal ensures you will feel fuller for longer and won’t be reaching for a refined sugary treat soon after.
The almond butter, flaxmeal and pepitas are all sources of healthy fats, which again like protein, are great for satiety and keeping you feeling fuller for longer. Plus, consumption of healthy fats reduce your risk of many diseases, such as heart disease and cancer, help improve insulin sensitivity and are for keeping your skin vibrant and glowy!
And finally, rolled oats are the base of this recipe. These are low GI, meaning they take longer to be absorbed and used by the body for energy, so these bars won’t spike your blood sugar and will provide you will long, sustained energy! This also makes them a perfect snack to take on-the-go with you through the day!
The recipe is:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Vegan (if you swap the honey for maple syrup)
Chewy Protein Honey Almond Granola Bars
- 1.5 cups rolled oats (Gluten Free Oats if Gluten intolerant)
- 1/2 cup puffed rice or puffed quinoa
- 2 serves of vanilla protein powder
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp almond butter (or nut butter of choice – peanut would work great!)
- 1/3 cup natural honey (swap for maple syrup if vegan)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raisins or vegan chocolate chips (or both!)
- Preheat the oven for 180 degrees Celsius fan-forced.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine (excluding the raisins/chocolate chips).
- In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix well.
- Add in the raisins and/or chocolate chips and mix to combine.
- Transfer mixture into a lined baking tray and press down flat (you will need to use your hands for this).
- Bake for 16-20 minutes – or until slightly golden on the edges.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into bars.
Be sure to join me over on Instagram (@eb.fiitness) for daily motivation, recipes and fitness tips! xxx