I love Greek food! And Souvlaki plates are one of my go to choices when eating at a Greek Restaurant. So this dish was inspired by the original dish, however, I put a little ‘healthier’ spin on it by making it into a salad! #makefriendswithsalad
It has all the components of a perfectly balanced meal – complex carbs, quality protein, source of healthy fat and plenty of greens and veggies! So it will keep you full and satisfied for hours and provide your body with so many essential vitamins & nutrients.
Now a traditional Souvlaki is not Dairy nor Gluten Free – however, this version is! I’ve created a Dairy Free Tzatzki using Coconut Yoghurt, which really brings the dish together.
A traditional Souvlaki is also served wth pita bread – so if you want to include that element definitely go for it! You could serve this entire salad in a Pita or cut up the pita and serve it on the side. And if your gluten free, look for a gluten free pita bread or a gluten free wrap instead!
This is also a great option for Meal Prep! Just store the chicken separately from the salad, and keep the dressing in a separate container then construct the salad just before eating.
Deconstructed Souvlaki Salad
- 400g chicken breast, strips
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
Marinate for 30 minutes in fridge. Then grill over high heat until cooked.
- 4 cups Lettuce
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 Red onion
- 2 Tomato
- 1 Cucumber
- 16 Olives (these would be a great addition, unfortunately I didn’t have any at the time of making this)
- Tzatziki Yoghurt Dressing:
- 150g Coconut yoghurt
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 1/2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Slice the cucumber in half and de-Seed.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
- 400g sweet potato
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- Salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the sweet potato.
- Cut the sweet potato into fries.
- Place onto a lined baking tray, spray with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over coconut flour. Toss the fries so they are all evenly coated.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Assemble you salad bowls with the salad base, top which chicken and sweet potato fries & drizzle over your tzatziki dressing and enjoy!