Peppermint reminds me of Christmas. It takes me back to my childhood where Christmas time meant overdosing on the abundance of Candy Canes that we’re on the Christmas Tree, at festive gatherings, in Bon Bons or given away by the Elves at the shopping centres.. safe to say I had my fair share of Candy Canes! But I loved it! And it’s such a fond memory I have of Christmas when I was younger.
But now.. I don’t think my sensitive stomach could tolerate all that sugar and artificial sweeteners in a Candy Cane. So in typical Elise fashion, I made a healthy alternative inspired by the real thing!
Enter, Choc Peppermint Protein Balls! Now I never had a choc-mint candy cane, but chocolate goes with everything, right?
Choc Peppermint Protein Balls
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (more if you like extra mint!)
- Desiccated coconut for coating
- Add all ingredients (except desiccated coconut) to a food processor or blender and blend until combined. Should form a crumbly looking mixture, but when you squeeze it together it should hold.
- Roll into 12 balls and coat in extra coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before eating.