These muffins are deliciously dense, moist and fluffy! The perfect combination for any muffin if you ask me.
They are the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavour. And a little crunch from the poppy seeds.
Enjoy one as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea to curb those 3pm sugar cravings, or as a healthy sweet treat after dinner.
They are also dairy free, vegan and can be made gluten free by omitting the oat flour & replacing with more almond meal of a gluten free flour.
Vegan Lemon & Coconut Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1.5 cups almond meal
- 1 cup oat flour (ground up oats)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp coconut water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Optional (but highly recommended): homemade lemon cashew cream for frosting and more lemon zest to garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan-forced.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into 9 lined muffin pans.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until brown on top and skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before eating or if icing with cashew cream, allow to cool completely before icing!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.