If there’s one flavour I’m actually obsessed with, its Salted Caramel! I was craving salted caramel the other day and wanted to incorporate it into a delicious, nutritious, nourishing and balanced afternoon snack – so these Healthy Salted Caramel Banana Muffins resulted!
These muffins are:
- Refined sugar-free
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
The perfect healthy treat! Hope you enjoy!!
Healthy Salted Caramel Banana Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large ripe bananas + 1/2 banana for decorating
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional for sweetness)
- Pinch of salt
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup of pitted dates (soaked in boiling water for at least 15 minutes – then discard the soaking liquid)
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (I used Mayors Dark Roast Peanut Butter)
- 1/4-1/3 cup warm water
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degree, fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Then in a food processor, blend the bananas, eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup (if using).
- Add the liquid from the food processor to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chopped pecans and set aside.
- To make the date paste, add in the dates, peanut butter and salt to the food processor and blitz. Scrap down the sides and process again, slowly adding the water until a paste forms.
- Line 12 muffin pans and fill each half way with the muffin batter. Then add a teaspoon of the Salted Caramel Sauce to each muffin and then fill up each with the remaining muffin batter.
- Top the muffins with any remaining Salted Caramel Sauce and a piece of sliced banana.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a screwer comes out clean.
Enjoy warm with a spoonful of ricotta cheese (Yum!) or store in the fridge for up to a week (if they last that long…).
These will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Be sure to join me over on Instagram (@eb.fiitness) for daily motivation, recipes and fitness tips! xxx