Who doesn’t love hot cross buns at Easter time? These Raw Mini Hot Cross Buns are bursting with those warm, comforting flavours just like the real fruit hot cross buns!
So simple to make, they are the perfect accompaniment to your morning coffee, afternoon tea or even as a little sweet treat after dinner.
These mini buns are also gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free and vegan (depending on the cross ingredients used).
Raw Mini Hot Cross Buns
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 14 dried, pitted dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp honey (or maple syrup to make vegan)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: White chocolate or cashew cream for crosses
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the rolled oats and almonds into a blender or food processor (I use a Vitamix) and blitz until a fine crumb forms.
- Add in vanilla, orange zest, all spice, cinnamon, honey, coconut oil and salt. Blitz again until well combined.
- Discard the date soaking liquid and transfer the dates into the blender. Blend until a smooth dough forms.
- Place the dough into a bowl and mix in raisins.
- Then, spoon out just under a tablespoon of dough and using your hands, form into a mini hot cross bun shape. You should get about 20 mini hot cross buns with this recipe.
- Optional: pipe over crosses using melted white chocolate or cashew cream for a vegan option.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to set and enjoy!
Be sure to join me over on Instagram (@eb.fiitness) for daily motivation, recipes and fitness tips! xxx