I swear by these 5 habits and implement them every morning. They have really helped me to achieve a healthy balanced lifestyle and help me to prepare my mind and body for the demands of the day ahead.
1. I will not check my phone or social media as soon as I wake up. I use to be that person who as soon as I switched off my alarm, would mindlessly start scrolling Facebook, Instagram and my Email Inbox before even getting out of bed. But this sort of habit places extra stress on the body because from the second we wake up we are greeted with numerous notifications that need to be tended to and remind us just how much work or things we need to catch up on. And this little habit caused me so much stress and anxiety from the second I woke up.
So now I make a conscious effort to not look at these sorts of notifications and apps until after my morning routine and give my mind and body time to prepare for the day.
2. Take 5 deep breathes or meditate for 5 minutes. This is something I do everyday before getting out of bed. Depending on how much time I have, I’ll at the least take a moment to take a few deep belly breaths before rising and centre myself, clear my mind and just put myself in the right frame of mind to start the day. It really forces you to slow down, which is so important these days as a LOT of stress arises from the feeling of constant rushing.
3. Drink warm lemon water before eating breakfast. This really alkalises the body and fires up the digestive system for the day ahead, plus ensures you’re well hydrated before breakfast and thus less likely to overeat.
4. Get moving! My favourite time of the morning! I love to start my day with some form of movement to get those endorphins flowing and wake me up for the day ahead. For me, this usually means a BBG (Bikini Body Guide) Workout, a walk or Yoga. Getting your daily movement and workout out of the way first thing means you don’t have to try and motivate yourself to get to the gym later in the day. I know after an 8 hour day in the office, I just want to go home, unwind, relax and settle in for the night rather than put myself through an intense workout after a draining day.
5. Have a nutritious balanced breakfast. For me, a healthy balance life includes a nutritious, superfood packed breakfast – EVERYDAY! It’s non-negotiable. Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day and I personally can’t function without it. Skipping breakfast will not result in losing weight. In fact, skipping this vital meal is linked to things like weight gain due to over-eating later in the day, blood sugar imbalances and brain fog because your body just doesn’t have the energy to function efficiently. Be sure to enjoy it slowly and mindfully. Don’t just scoff it down in 2 minutes. Take your time to savour each bite and enjoy it. Not only does this help you to slow down, but it helps your body to better digest the food and recognise when it’s actually full.
So make breakfast part of your morning routine and be sure it is made up of a combination of carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats to give your body the energy it needs for the day ahead. And if you need some healthy, balanced breakfast inspiration, check out some of my favourite breakfast recipes here!
Be sure to follow me over on Instagram for daily recipes, inspiration and fitness tips– @eb.fiitness